naive myself... if anyone would have told me last year, that i would be able to develop a tool for taking pictures and videos from a webcam, which then will go into gnome, will be used in distros like ubuntu, fedora, suse, ... no chance that i would have believed him. now, a year later we have a very nice tool, which should not dread the comparison to other tools, even proprietary ones, like apples.
we had people that were able to send the pictures of her children to her grandma, people who installed cheese in their office lobby, people who send their identity card to their agency through cheese because they didnt have a scanner around, people who just had fun with it. and it is all about fun. therefore i would like to thank all the people for the fun we had developing this program, all the people who gave me a chance to start, all the people who helped me to reach this point and everybody who will help us in the future. THANKS!
does this mean, that cheese is finished? hell, no.. we have a lot of open ideas and want to bring them into gnome 2.24 to make it a even more brilliant desktop and finally be able to say "yeah, 2008 was definitely the linux-on-desktops year" ;)
what is it?
Cheese uses your webcam to take photos and videos, applies fancy special effects and lets you share the fun with others.
what's changed in 2.22.0?
- typo in the documentaton: ximageskink instead of ximagesink
- menu entries for take a photo and recording never switched, fixes bug #516745
- select a thumb near the deleted item, fixes bug #505442
- make sure we have the right prototype definition, fixes bug #519030
- rephrased hard-to-understand sentence in docs, fixes bug #518838, courtesy of Claude Paroz
- drop libglade and use GtkBuilder instead.
- putted gtk calls in critical section in threads, fixes bug #516697, courtesy of Mathias Clasen
- make use of the gconf countdown setting and show or hide the countdown depending on that
- replaced all gnome-vfs calls by gio
- install bugreport script in libexec instead of lib, fixes bug #514833
- translate effect names too, courtesy of Tommi Vainikainen
- pressing 'esc' cancels countdown/stop video recording, courtesy of Tommi Vainikainen
- the bugreport script didnt get copied on make dist
- new effect images by Lapo Calamandrei and gidesa
- fix bug #510610 - Typo at the documentation
- remove gnome-vfs completely from cheese-window.c
- use gio instead of gnome-vfs for file copy
- make Save dialog title localizable
- don't use gnome-vfs for opening links in about dialog
- write logging to file ~/.gnome2/cheese/log and send this along in bug-buddy reports, fixes bug #510270
- plug some leaks, courtesy of Mauro of GHOP project. fixes bug #505441
- run webcam detection in background thread, fixes bug #505553, courtesy of Steve Magoun
- uso GIO g_file_trash() to trash files, patch by Luca Ferretti
- update to new manual provided by Joshua Henderson as part of GHOP
- remove the queue-size=2, this should fix bug #507416 - iSight camera does not work in gstreamer
- added/updated translations
- ar, courtesy of Djihed Afifi and Khaled Hosny
- be@latin, courtesy of Ihar Hrachyshka
- bn_IN, courtesy of Runa Bhattacharjee
- ca, courtesy of Gil Forcada
- cs, courtesy of Vitezslav Kotrla.
- da, courtesy of Kenneth Nielsen
- de, courtesy of Andre Klapper and Hendrik Brandt
- el, courtesy of Athanasios Lefteris
- en_GB, courtesy of Philip Withnall
- es, courtesy of Jorge González
- et, courtesy of Ivar Smolin
- eu, courtesy of Iñaki Larrañaga Murgoitio
- fi, courtesy of Tommi Vainikainen
- fr, courtesy of Claude Paroz, Stéphane Raimbault and Robert-André Mauchin
- ga, courtesy of Seán de Búrca
- gl, courtesy of Ignacio Casal Quinteiro
- gu, courtesy of Ankit Patel
- he, courtesy of Yair Hershkovitz
- hu, courtesy of Adam Pongracz and Gabor Kelemen
- it, courtesy of Alessandro Falappa
- ja, courtesy of Takeshi Aihana
- ko, courtesy of Changwoo Ryu
- lt, courtesy of Gintautas Miliauskas
- mk, courtesy of Arangel Angov and Jovan Naumovski
- ml, courtesy of Ani Peter
- mr, courtesy of Sandeep Shedmake
- nb, courtesy of Kjartan Maraas
- nl, courtesy of Wouter Bolsterlee.
- oc, courtesy of Yannig Marchegay
- pa, courtesy of Amanpreet Singh Brar
- pl, courtesy of GNOME PL Team
- pt, courtesy of Duarte Loreto
- pt_BR, courtesy of Pedro de Medeiro and Og Maciel
- ru, courtesy of Vasiliy Faronov
- sl, courtesy of Matej Urbančič
- sv, courtesy of Daniel Nylander
- th, courtesy of Theppitak Karoonboonyanan
- tr, courtesy of Baris Cicek
- uk, courtesy of Maxim Dziumanenko
- zh_CN, courtesy of YangZhang
- zh_HK, courtesy of Chao-Hsiung Liao
- zh_TW, courtesy of Chao-Hsiung Liao
where can i get it?
you can get it by pressing here
what does it look like?
some patches couldnt make it into this version but will definitely go into 2.24. those patches include the port to the nokia n810 (maemo) device, usability enhancements, user interface enhancements and a lot more. stay tuned!
Want more ideas like this in your inbox?
My letters are about long-lasting, sustainable change that fundamentally amplify our human capabilities and raise our collective intelligence through generations. Would love to have you on board.